Wednesday 24 October 2007

Spit splicing and Ball winding

I've always been intrigued about spit splicing, so I tried it for the first time the other day. It's wonderful! I've felted things before, but I just couldn't get how spitting on your wool and rubbing it together could possibly work. But it does. And although it is quite messy (I did spit rather liberally in my hand) it gives a lovely neat join. So this will be my preferred method for joining wool from now on.
Yesterday I went to
The Handweaver's Studio in Walthamstow. It's a fabulous place. I have never seen so many different shades of yarn. And so many different fibres. It was like an Aladdin's cave, and although more geared towards spinners and weavers, there was still plenty for knitters. I got some orange wool/silk and some green mohair, but most importantly, I got a BALL WINDER! I've been wanting one of these for ages now, and it really is the most marvellous contraption. I've been winding up all my skeins and whatnot for the past two afternoons, and now my stash is all nice and ordered. I've labelled everything and listed everything I have on Ravelry. It was a revelation to me all the yarn I've managed to accumulate, and actually quite shocking. Where did it all come from! I think I need to go on a yarn ban for a while...

No comments: